In a perfect world all of us nerds would have the time and money to attend every con. The building would be able to contain the nerd army that has swollen these last few years. Plus, the marketing overlords would let us stream and share to our hearts content. Unfortunately, this fantasy realm does not exist. Making matters worse, all my shows are also on hold that week because all the hosts are going to Comic Con! How is a nerd to survive?
Usually I get my fix by watching Geek & Sundry. They are not allowed to live stream at SDCC this year. It seems the best we will be able to do is follow podcasts. We’ve found a few for you guys that we believe will be the most entertaining and informative.
First we have Nerdist. They get us. We love them. So far they have some great interviews lined up for July 11th. Starting with Sir Ben Kingsley (Damian in the upcoming Self/less movie) and Peter Capaldi (12th Dr. Who) at 7:30 pm. Then Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) at 10:30 pm. Nerdist can also be followed on Twitter using #conival. Geek & Sundry’s friend Greg Miller will also have a live pod cast of Kinda Funny at 3:00 pm Friday the 10th.
IGN looks to have a stream going on each day of con. It will start at 1:00 pm PDT but the content is not posted. A full list will be available Monday. They do already have a lot of posts on the exclusive toys we will be missing. You should check them out and cry, just like I did. IGN also has a YouTube channel they will be posting the Conversations for a Cause panels. Guests for those include William Shatner, Yvonne Strahovski, and JOSS WHEDON! Sorry. Buffy fan girl. Whedon-verse for life!
Cinelinx has a promising enthusiasm with a Live-Tweet Widget on their site. They have deployed a team to attend con and give us the latest information, including updates on the upcoming films Batman vs Superman and Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Their site also promises articles with news and opinions on said news.
If you are lucky enough to live in San Diego, Nerdist, Geek & Sundry, and Smart Girls (all sibling organizations) each have events that do not require a con pass at PetCo Park. These events include a TableTop gaming nook, The Joust (a bouncy ring for battles), and their laser tag maze based on the new Battleborn game. Guests on the main stage include Matt Mercer, Felicia Day, and Wil Wheaton. Check out their full line up with times here.
Also don’t forget, you can always go into your local comic book shop and cry to them. They can’t go either. Someone has to be sacrificed as tribute to run the store. Go buy stuff from them so their sacrifice has purpose!
Now that you have a few tools for survival, here are a few more of the things we will miss, San Diego Comic Con exclusives include (queue tears):
- Skottie Young pins! (I have like 50 Skottie Young Comic Covers, and it’s still not enough)
- 31 Funko POPS including an 11th Dr holding a Cyberman head and a Big Hero 6 – Transluscent Glitter Emoticon Baymax!
- George RR Martin Talking Plush signed by George
- Magic the Gathering Planeswalker set in black and white scheme (these are seriously beautiful)
- S.H. Figuarts Imposter Sailor Moon (I will be buying this for way too much money on ebay later)
- Birthright Volume 01 Hardcover (If you haven’t read this comic, DO IT!)
- Outcast by Kirkman and Azaceta Volume 1 Hardcover (Read this one while you’re at it)
- World of Warcraft 3-Murlock pack (They are adorable)
- Upper Deck: Marvel Daredevil Poster (This thing is gorgeous)
- All the wonderful things our favorite celebrities will say and do at con that never make it on camera. Absolutely priceless.
Here’s a tissue, we feel the same pain.