Hotel Salvation arrives on Blu-ray and DVD February 26th. The award-winning first feature from up-and-coming young director Shubhashish Bhutiani is a charming, life-affirming drama set in contemporary India that tackles serious matters with a light and often joyous touch. After a UK theatrical release last August to much critical acclaim, Hotel Salvation will be released on both Blu-ray and DVD formats by the BFI on 26 February. Numerous extras include Shubhashish’s film Kush (2013) which was shortlisted for Best Live Action Short of the 2014 Academy Awards.
This gently humorous film follows Rajiv, an overworked middle-aged son who is forced to accompany his 77-year-old father, Daya, as he seeks salvation in the holy city of Varanasi. The simple pleasures of this timeless place are explored as the pair belatedly come to know each other in the enforced intimacy of their cramped hotel room and the teeming streets.
Renowned actors Adil Hussain (Life of Pi), Lalit Behl (Titli) and Geetanjali Kulkarni (Court) lead an outstanding cast. While rooted in Indian values and culture, Hotel Salvation transcends borders with its themes of family ties, intergenerational relationships and the quest for contentment in later life.
- Hotel Salvation Q&A (2017, 26 mins): director Shubhashish Bhutiani and producer Sanjay Bhutiani in conversation with Gaylene Gould
- The Making of Hotel Salvation (2017, 12 mins): behind the scenes footage of the cast and crew shot on location in Varanasi
- Original international trailer (2 mins)
- Original UK trailer (2 mins)
- Original UK teaser (1 min)
- Kush (2013, 25 mins): Shubhashish Bhutiani’s award-winning debut short film
- Panorama of Calcutta (1899, 2 mins): one of the earliest films to be shot in India, showing the ghats of Varanasi
- Illustrated booklet with essays by Kaleem Aftab and Naman Ramachandran, and full film credits
India / 2016 / colour / 99 mins / Hindi with English subtitles / original aspect ratio 2.35:1 / BD50: 1080p, 24fps, 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio (48kHz/24-bit)
Our friends at the British Film Institute are doing what they do best. Hotel Salvation arrives next month on Blu-ray for the first time anywhere. With a bunch of special features, this should please any fan that was able to catch this in theaters. You can preorder now from Amazon UK.