Hello TNM readers and welcome to the TNM Home Media News Recap for 04/23/18. We are going to be trying a new format so you, our reader, will be informed of what is going on in the world of Blu-ray and Home Media News. We’ll also at times include some indie gaming items that we love and the big guys might miss. This will also be a way to support our partners and let you stay abreast of what they have coming out. Just click on the links and it will scroll to the news you want to see.
TNM Home Media News Recap for 04/23/18
Peter Pan (1953) – In celebration of its 65th anniversary, Disney’s beloved flight of fantasy, Peter Pan, joins the highly celebrated Walt Disney Signature Collection, landing in homes on Blu-ray June 5. With a little faith, trust and pixie dust, every member of the family will let their imagination soar on this epic adventure to Never Land, sparkling with legendary animation, extraordinary music and both all-new and classic bonus features.
The Walt Disney Signature Collection edition of “Peter Pan” invites adventures of all ages to believe in magic once again and experience a timeless treasure from Disney’s golden age of animation that has stirred the hearts and imaginations of moviegoers worldwide since its original 1953 release. The Signature Collection edition offers over two hours of classic bonus features plus never-before-seen extras, including the latest installment of “Stories from Walt’s Office,” which explores Walt’s love of flying and the company planes; a nostalgic reunion between Kathryn Beaumont (the voice of Wendy) and Paul Collins (the voice of John); and new “Oke” renditions of the classic song “You Can Fly” and deleted song “Never Smile at a Crocodile” accompanied by on-screen lyrics and the film’s unforgettable animated characters.
In “Peter Pan,” fantastic adventures await the Darling children—Wendy, John and Michael—when Peter Pan, the hero of their stories, whisks them away to the magical world of Never Land. After flying with Peter and the delightfully impish Tinker Bell past the “second star to the right and straight on till morning,” they explore the enchanted island and Peter’s secret hideout with the Lost Boys, and leap into high-flying battles with swashbuckling pirates and the infamous villain Captain Hook.
“Peter Pan” is the seventh title to join the Walt Disney Signature Collection, which includes groundbreaking films created or inspired by the imagination and legacy of Walt Disney, featuring timeless stories and characters that have touched generations. The film takes its place alongside “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “Pinocchio,” “Bambi,” “The Lion King” and “Lady and the Tramp.”
NEW SIGNATURE COLLECTION BONUS
- Stories from Walt’s Office: Walt & Flight – “Think of the happiest things, it’s the same as having wings”. One thing you’ll notice inside Walt Disney’s office are all of the models and pictures of airplanes. Walt loved planes and was an aficionado of flying. As a continuation of the “Stories from Walt’s Office” series, we’ll soar into the world of one of Walt’s favorite pastimes and look at the history behind the company airplane he used to scout Central Florida looking for the perfect place to build his second theme park.
- A “Darling” Conversation with Wendy & John: Kathryn Beaumont and Paul Collins – Join Disney Legend Kathryn Beaumont (the voice of Wendy) and Paul Collins (the voice of John) as they reunite for the first time in many years to reminisce and discuss their experiences working on Peter Pan, meeting Walt Disney and learning to fly … literally.
- You Can Fly” – A new “Oke” rendition and graphic look of the classic Disney song, “You Can Fly,” with fun lyrics on screen and lots of your favorite “Peter Pan” characters.
- “Never Smile at a Crocodile” – A new “Oke” rendition and graphic look of the deleted song, “Never Smile at a Crocodile”, with fun lyrics on screen and highlighting the relationship between Captain Hook and Tick- Tock the Crocodile.
- Sing-along Version of the film: Sing along with your favorite songs from the movie.
- Growing Up with Nine Old Men – “Peter Pan” is both a story of living with a child’s sense of openness to the world and an acknowledgement that the path to adulthood most often leads away from those qualities. A parallel of sorts to that duality can be found in Walt Disney and his core group of animators, the Nine Old Men, in their lives and in their work. Our short film will look at who they were and the parts they played in one of the most remarkable team of artists that ever worked together.
- Deleted Song: “The Pirate’s Song” – Original demo recording of the song played over concept art.
- Deleted Song: “Never Smile at a Crocodile” – With music played over static concept art of the crocodile from Pater Pan.
- Deleted Song: “The Boatswain Song” – With music played over static concept art of Captain Hook and his crew.
- Deleted Scene: “The Journey Home” – A proposed alternate ending where Peter asks the Lost Boys to return home with Wendy and the other children.
- Deleted Scene: “Alternate Arrival” – A deleted scene where Wendy and the children are initially attacked by the Lost Boys because Tinker Bell tells them that Wendy is holding Peter captive. We also see in this version of the story that Nana the dog travels to Never Land with Wendy and the children.
- Disney Song Select – Simply play the clip from the movie with subtitles underneath it.
- “The Second Star to the Right”
- “You Can Fly”
- “A Pirate’s Life”
- “Following the Leader”
- “Your Mother and Mine”
- Audio Commentary Hosted by Roy Disney – Audio commentary hosted by Roy Disney, but carried on by several other people.
- Music and More
- “Never Land”: The Lost Song – A bonus piece that sets up the backstory of where this lost song was found and how Richard Sherman recomposed it.
- Music Video: “Never Land” – Music Performed by Paige O’Hara – A music video of the song “Never Land”
- Music Video: “The Second Star to the Right” – Music Performed by T-Squad – A music video of the song “The Second Star to the Right” performed by T-Squad.
- You Can Fly: The Making of ‘Peter Pan’ – A making-of video of the 1953 Disney classic, “Peter Pan.”
- In Walt’s Words: “Why I Made ‘Peter Pan'” – Based upon an article written by Walt Disney retold as a dramatic recreation.
- Tinker Bell: A Fairy’s Tale – An introspective video on the creation, history and personality of the one and only “Tink.”
- The Peter Pan That Almost Was – Hosted by Ron Clements and John Musker, we take a look at the storyboards and early concepts of a version of the “Peter Pan” film that never saw the light of day.
- The “Peter Pan” Story – An original featurette for the film created in 1952.
A Wrinkle in Time (2018) Just in time for summer break, Disney’s “A Wrinkle in Time,” from acclaimed director Ava DuVernay, comes home May 29 on Digital HD, 4K Ultra HD and Movies Anywhere and June 5 on Blu-ray™, 4K Ultra HD™, DVD and On-Demand. The stunning story of an ordinary girl’s extraordinary adventure through time and space offers exhilarating entertainment and positive messages for the whole family—encouraging self-confidence, inclusion and pushing imagination to the next level. There is the 4K UHD, standard Blu-ray, Best Buy Exclusive Steelbook®, and the Target Exclusive Gallery Book.
Families who bring home “A Wrinkle in Time” will go behind the scenes to meet the talented crafts persons, actors and filmmakers who brought to life every spectacular detail of this triumphant tale. Bonus material includes an extended featurette providing inside access to the A-list cast and crew; insightful audio commentary from director Ava DuVernay and team; deleted scenes; bloopers; and two music videos, including “I Believe” performed by GRAMMY®-nominated music mogul DJ Khaled and featuring GRAMMY®-nominated singer-songwriter Demi Lovato.
More than 50 years after Madeleine L’Engle’s young adult novel “A Wrinkle in Time” was awarded the prestigious Newbery Medal, the big-screen retelling of this timeless classic takes audiences on a transformative journey, exquisitely illustrated through jaw-dropping visual effects, a stirring musical score and diverse, star-studded cast. Three celestial guides, Mrs. Which (two-time Academy Award® nominee Oprah Winfrey), Mrs. Whatsit (Oscar®, Golden Globe® and Emmy® winner Reese Witherspoon) and Mrs. Who (Emmy nominee Mindy Kaling), come to Earth to share their wisdom and love with struggling eighth-grader Meg Murry (Storm Reid) as she journeys across dimensions with classmate Calvin (Levi Miller) and younger brother Charles Wallace (Deric McCabe) in search of her father (Chris Pine), a world-renowned physicist who mysteriously disappeared four years ago.
As fantastical as the film’s premise and imagery may seem, “A Wrinkle in Time” centers on a universal human need that feels particularly relevant and relatable today. “This is a story about belonging,” says DuVernay. “It’s about a girl who just doesn’t feel strong in her mind, body and spirit. But through this epic journey, she finds her strength and learns that the center of the universe starts inside her. It’s about Meg feeling like she belongs in the universe and has a mighty part to play… as do we all.”
Bonus features include**: BLU-RAY & DIGITAL HD:
- A Journey Through Time – Take an up-close look at the making of this magnificent movie with Director Ava DuVernay, Oprah Winfrey, and the cast and crew.
- Deleted Scenes (with optional director audio commentary)
- Ant on a String
- Aunt Beast
- Meg Learns About Calvin’s Dad
- Audio Commentary
- Director Ava DuVernay
- Producer Jim Whitaker
- Co-Screenwriter Jennifer Lee
- Production designer Naomi Shohan
- First assistant director Michael Moore
- Editor Spencer Averick
- VFX supervisor Rich McBride
- Original Songs/Music Videos
- I Believe” performed by DJ Khaled featuring Demi Lovato
- “Warrior” performed by Chloe x Halle.
- 4K UHD
- English Dolby Atmos,
- English Dolby Digital Plus
- French Dolby Digital Plus
- Spanish 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus
- English 2.0 Descriptive Audio
- English 7.1 DTS-HDMA
- English 2.0 Descriptive Audio
- French 5.1 Dolby Digital
- Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital
- English SDH
Strike Back – Meet the new members of Section 20 when the action-packed Cinemax® hit, Strike Back: The Complete Fifth Season, comes to Blu-ray™ and DVD on August 14th, and Digital Download May 7th. Built with the same high-intensity as past seasons, “…Strike Back makes its triumphant return…” (TV Guide), with a new, fierce group of male and female soldiers, including Sergeant Thomas ‘Mac’ McAllister (Warren Brown, “The Dark Knight Rises”), Sergeant Samuel Wyatt (Daniel MacPherson, “Infini”), Lance Corporal Gracie Novan (Alin Sumarwatta, “Burning Man”) and Captain Natalie Reynolds (Roxanne McKee, HBO’s “Game of Thrones,” “Crossfire”), to help track down a notorious terrorist after a brutal prison break.
When fanatical terrorist Omair Idrisi escapes from Syrian authorities with plans to launch an unprecedented attack that could change the face of modern warfare, the ensuing manhunt can only be entrusted to counterterrorism’s best and brightest. Enter Section 20 — the elite, multinational, covert special ops team tasked with tracking down Idrisi and his British co-conspirator wife, Jane Lowry.
Their action-packed manhunt will take the unit across North Africa, the Middle East and Europe, from glitterati soirees to underworld cage fights, as they uncover and attempt to dismantle a vast global web of interconnected criminal and terrorist activity.
Dirty Grandpa (2016) – It’s time to get down and dirty with the raunchy hilarity of Dirty Grandpa when it arrives on 4K Ultra HD™ Combo Pack (plus Blu-ray™ and Digital) June 12 from Lionsgate. Starring Academy Award® winner Robert De Niro (Best Actor, Raging Bull, 1980), Zac Efron, Aubrey Plaza, Zoey Deutch, Julianne Hough, Jason Mantzoukas, Danny, Glover, and Dermot Mulroney, experience four times the resolution of Full HD with 4K, which is also joined by Dolby Vision™ HDR to bring to life the stunning cinematography of this hilarious film. Dolby Vision transforms the TV experience in the home by delivering greater brightness and contrast, as well as a fuller palette of rich colors.
The release also features Dolby Atmos® audio mixed specifically for the home to place and move audio anywhere in the room, including overhead. Rotten Tomatoes Certified Fresh™, the Dirty Grandpa 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack is loaded with special features and will be available for the suggested retail price of $22.99.
Subtitles: English, Spanish, English SDH
Robert De Niro and Zac Efron get down and dirty in this raunchy comedy about a wild road trip shared by an uptight guy and his foul-mouthed granddad.
- “Lessons in Seduction” Featurette
- “Filthy Filmmakers Who Have No Shame” Audio Commentary (Blu-ray™ Only)
- “The Filthy Truth: The Making of Dirty Grandpa” Featurette
- “Daytona Heat” Featurette
- “I Got Nothin’ to Hide: A Look at Daytona’s Most Vibrant Drug Dealer” Featurette
- Gag Reel
Paterno (2018) – HBO Films’ Paterno dives into the legendary Penn State football coach Joe Paterno and the aftermath of his assistant coach Jerry Sandusky’s sexual abuse scandal. Watch Al Pacino appear “so convincing” (Wall Street Journal) when Paterno is available for Digital Download May 7th.
Starring Academy Award® and Emmy Award® winner Al Pacino as Joe Paterno who undergoes various challenges by the Sandusky scandal discrediting his entire football legacy and forces him to face questions of institutional failure on behalf of multiple victims.
Directed by the award-winning filmmaker Barry Levinson, Paterno marks his third HBO collaboration with Pacino that includes You Don’t Know Jack and Phil Spector. Unfolding over a two-week period, “Mr.Levinson lays this out with considerable skill and energy” (New York Times) allowing one to create their own judgment on what happened.
Cast members include Riley Keough (The Girlfriend Experience), Annie Parisse (Friends From College), Kathy Baker (The Age Of Adaline) Greg Grunberg (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) and Larry Mitchell (Brawl in Cell Block 99).